Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg announces new charges in Times Square assault

Photo of author

By Dan Sears

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg announced the indictment of seven people he says were involved in a group assault of two NYPD officers outside a migrant shelter in Times Square.

Police have already arrested five people named in the indictment, while two others have not yet been apprehended or arraigned, according to the DA’s office. Four of the five men arrested were charged with second degree assault, which is a felony punishable by up to seven years in prison. Charges against the two people still at large are under seal.

“This assault, as it did to many of you, sickened me and outraged me,” Bragg said at a press conference Thursday.

The attack was caught on video, and surveillance footage released by the NYPD has since gone viral. The incident stoked already fierce political debates about bail reform and New York City’s migrant crisis. Gothamist fact-checked some of the commentary that has proliferated in the news and on social media.

See also  Santa Ana ice cream shop creates a unique Mexican-Korean fusion hot and cold ice cream sandwich

One man, 24-year-old Yohenry Brito, was indicted earlier this week and remains in custody. The others were released shortly after the Jan. 27 incident.

Prosecutors have been presenting evidence to a grand jury since Tuesday.

Defense attorneys for two of the people indicted declined comment, while attorneys for the other three couldn’t immediately be reached.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Rate this post

Leave a Comment