NYC sues bus companies carrying migrants to city under Texas busing program

Photo of author

By Dan Sears

The Adams administration has filed a lawsuit against 17 bus companies for transporting tens of thousands of migrants to New York City, claiming the companies were carrying out Texas Gov. Greg Abbott’s “evil intention” of shifting the costs of the migrants’ care to sanctuary cities under a state-funded transport program he launched last year.

The city is altogether seeking $708 million to recoup costs incurred over the last two years, citing a New York law the administration said requires “[a]ny person who knowingly brings, or causes to be brought a needy person from out of state into this state for the purpose of making him a public charge … shall be obligated to convey such person out of state or support him at his own expense.” (Public charges are noncitizens who are likely to become primarily reliant on government assistance.)

The complaint, filed Thursday in state Supreme Court, represents a new front in Mayor Eric Adams’ attempt to control the flow of new arrivals coming from Texas after crossing the United States’ southern border. Since April 2022, Texas has covered bus fares for migrants bound for New York City to bring attention to the situation at the border, according to Abbott.

See also  New Harlem Renaissance exhibit to showcase a revolutionary time in Black art

“New York City has and will always do our part to manage this humanitarian crisis, but we cannot bear the costs of reckless political ploys from the state of Texas alone,” Adams said in a statement. “Governor Abbott’s continued use of migrants as political pawns is not only chaotic and inhumane but makes clear he puts politics over people. Today’s lawsuit should serve as a warning to all those who break the law in this way.”

Abbott’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the lawsuit.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Rate this post

Leave a Comment