Prince Harry and Meghan Markle plan on honoring the first anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II’s death “in their own way” after not making the invitation list for the royal family’s forthcoming Balmoral Castle gathering.
“They will of course acknowledge and pay their respects to Her Majesty in their own way,” a source with direct knowledge tells Page Six exclusively while confirming that the couple “haven’t received any information or invitation to plans marking the anniversary of her death.”
However, the insider notes that the memorial at the Scottish estate is not a formal royal event.
“I know the palace has said nothing official is happening,” the source shares, adding that honoring the late Queen is very “personal.”
Last week, reports surfaced that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex did not receive any “outreach” from senior royals about attending the event on Sept. 8 despite their plans to appear in Düsseldorf, Germany, for the 2023 Invictus Games the day after.
Harry’s dad, King Charles III, as well as Queen Camilla are set to gather with other royal family members to commemorate the longest-reigning British monarch.
Multiple sources claimed Prince William, Kate Middleton and their three kids — Prince George, 10, Princess Charlotte, 8, and Prince Louis, 5 — also will be on the premises for the meaningful day.
Sources speculated to the Sun that the Sussexes’ absence has to do with the continued tension between Harry and his brother, William, over the redheaded royal’s bombshell memoir, “Spare,” as well as his and Markle’s many interviews bashing the royal family.
“You can read the room on that as to where things are [between them],” one source said, adding that Harry, 38, and William, 41, have not had any contact with each other.
While Harry and the “Suits” alum, 42, remain on the outs with his family, disgraced Prince Andrew, who had ties to convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, is due to stay on the Balmoral property along with his ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson, and their daughters, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie.
Due to the 63-year-old Duke of York’s rocky standing with the public, it is possible he will not be crossing paths with other royal family members.
For more Page Six you love …
“There are a large number of properties around the estate, so not everyone needs to stay at Balmoral Castle itself,” an insider explained.
Meanwhile, the Duchess of York, also 63, will be welcomed at Balmoral after notably being snubbed from the guest list for Charles’ coronation in May.
Other royals set to attend the late Queen’s memorial include Prince Edward, his wife, Sophie, the Duchess of Edinburgh, and their two kids, Lady Louise Windsor, and James, Earl of Wessex, as well as Princess Anne, her husband, Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence, and her kids, Peter Phillips and Zara Tindall, and Charles’ cousin Lady Sarah Chatto.
Balmoral Castle holds a special significance for the family, as it was where the Queen died at the age of 96 on Sept. 8, 2022. The estate was also widely believed to be her favorite residence.
Harry was last with his family in May when he flew across the pond to attend his father’s coronation sans Markle. The couple have not seen the family together since attending the Queen’s funeral on Sept. 19.
The Sussexes’ upcoming sojourn to Germany will be their first joint European appearance since the funeral.
While the pair’s relationship with the royal family is quite strained, they were seemingly in good standing with Harry’s late grandmother.
Harry and Markle currently live in Montecito, Calif., with their two kids, Prince Archie, 4, and Princess Lilibet, 2, who have royal titles despite their parents resigning from their royal duties in 2020.